Mushroom baguette shells
Richly flavoured mushrooms in a crispy French bread shell.
1short baguette/stick of French bread
250g/9oz open cup mushrooms
10ml/2tsp Worcestershire sauce
10ml/2tsp lemon juice
30ml/2tbsp skimmed milk
30ml/2tbsp fresh chives, chopped
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C /400°F/gas mark 6.
2. Slice the baguette in half lengthways and scoop out the middle of each half, leaving a thick, crusty border.
3. Place on a baking sheet, open side up and bake in the oven for about 7minutes.
4. In the meantime, roughly chop the mushrooms then add to a pan with the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and milk. Heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
5. Remove from the heat, add the chives and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Spoon the mushroom mixture into the baguette shells and serve hot.
Mediterranean pasta and tomato soup
Use any pasta shape you fancy. Try alphabet or animal shapes to appeal to children.
1 400g/14oz can tomatoes
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 stick of celery
1 clove of garlic
15ml/1tbsp olive oil
225ml/8fl oz/1 cup water
15ml/2tbsp tomato puree
50g/2oz small pasta shapes
Salt and black pepper
1. Roughly chop the tomatoes, onion, celery and garlic.
2. Place in a pan, add the water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 40-45 mins, until all the vegetables are very soft.
3. Save the liquid and spoon the vegetables into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
4. Return to the pan with the saved liquid. Stir in the tomato puree and bring to the boil.
5. Add the pasta and simmer until the pasta is tender, adding more water to achieve the consistency you prefer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
The mixture can be prepared in advance and stored, covered, in the fridge for a couple of days.
1 can chick peas
2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
50g/2oz/¼ cup finely chopped onion
2tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp lemon juice
Pinch of cayenne
30g/1oz/⅛ cup flour
1. Drain the chick peas and combine all ingredients (except flour) in a food processor or mixing bowl. Process or mash until the mixture has a uniform consistency.
2. Stir in the flour until thoroughly combined.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C /400°F/gas mark 6.
4. Spoon portions of the mixture onto a baking sheet and flatten slightly into small burger shapes.
5. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden brown, turning them over halfway through baking.
6. Serve in pitta bread with your choice of salad ingredients, e.g. sliced pepper, lettuce, onion, tomato.